Branch App Re-Design
Financial Access in East Africa
In-house work at fintech social enterprise
Branch.co is a social enterprise working to address the gap in access to financial services for businesses, entrepreneurs and the emerging middle class in East Africa by providing credit using machine learning algorithms to assess creditworthiness.
Being an early stage startup, I fulfilled many roles as a Product Manager, including product design and testing. I oversaw the app redesign, which is currently live on the Google Playstore and is the #1 app in Kenya.
Our objective was to re-design the initial (MVP) app to meet the growing needs of our user base.
We had 3 primary goals:
- TRANSPARENCY / Customers did not feel fully informed regarding loan terms when requesting a loan.
- CLARITY / Reduce stress and confusion caused by insufficient feedback when loan application was submitted.
- FLEXIBILITY / The old design limited the features we could add and thus did not meet the needs of our users. The new design needed to allow for more loan options and repayment terms, as well as allow for the addition of more features to the service in the future.
PHASE 1 - USABILITY TESTING
I developed and administered usability testing for key flows for the UI designs developed by Ammunition design studio. This included creating a test plan and interview discussion guide for onsite user testing in Kenya. I summarized key findings and presented to the team. Designs were updated by Ammunition to reflect these learnings.
PHASE 2 - ADAPTING DESIGNS FOR INITIAL RELEASE
The set of designs handed over by Ammunition encompassed a 1+ year product roadmap. While we did not have the engineering resources to implement the full design right away, it provided a point of reference for the designs that would get implemented as the first release of our re-design.
Targeting the shorter term 3-6 month product roadmap and keeping our users' needs in mind, I adapted these designs to fit our engineering team's current capabilities and prioritized the excluded features for future releases.
PHASE 3 - IMPLEMENT & TEST
After developing complete flows and feature specifications, I worked with our Android developer to implement. Once released to beta, the new app was thoroughly tested according to a testing plan.
Designs went live in August 2016. The Branch app is currently #1 on the Kenyan Google Playstore.
Other design PROJECTS at branch
- App - Referral feature
- App - Event tracking spec
- App - Rate this app feature
- App - API spec for app re-design in RAML
- Admin portal - broadcast message feature
- Admin portal - system message update feature
Further details on work at Branch available upon request.